Yesterday, I posted the POLLO GUISADO RECIPE. Today, I am posting the recipe for the rice dish to accompany your chicken. It’s very yummy and simple to make.
First, gather these ingredients:
Ahi verde (see the pic from yesterday’s post –>HERE)
oregano (I use the dry kind)
2 cans of guandules (I like the ones with coconut milk. I think makes the Moro taste better)
“sopita” (Dona Gallina- see yesterday’s post for pic)
1) Chop all vegetables, put in a bowl, and set aside. I typically make Pollo Guisado and Moro together so I chop all the vegetables together EXCEPT THE CILANTRO, divide them into two separate bowls, and set it aside for later. In the bowl of chopped veggies for Moro, do not add spices/seasoning in it. You will add them in the pot later.
3) Add chopped veggies and cook until tender.4) Once veggies are tender, add cans of guandules, about 5 sopita, Adobo seasoning (about 5 shakes), Sazon Goya (one packet), Sazon Completo (about half a capful), oregano, olives (optional but I love them in mine), and water.
For your water, add 1 1/2 cups per every cup of rice. (For example, 2 cups of rice= 3 cups of water). DO NOT ADD RICE AT THIS TIME THOUGH!
5) Bring to a boil
6) Add rice and heat on high. Stir occasionally. You will know if you have the right amount of rice and water if you are able to push your spoon through the mixture and see a little mound of rice, veggies, and guandules, like in the picture below:
7) Continue cooking on high until the water is mostly cooked down. Scoop all of the Moro to the center of the pot to create a mound in the middle and a “valley” around it. This will help with the final cooking step.
8) Add the cilantro. Cover your pot with aluminum foil (or a black trash bag) and put the lid over it. This will create a “steamer” for your rice. Reduce heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes or until rice is tender.
That’s all there is to it! Serve with your pollo guisado and a fresh salad. I typically take some of the juices from the chicken and pour it over the rice. Once again, if you have any questions, leave a comment below.