I have so many things that I really want to blog about but just haven’t gotten my words together yet. So…in the meantime, I am going to occasionally share new things we have done around here. Pinterest is truly like a drug for us crafty people. I want to make ALLLL the things but don’t have either the money, time, patience, or know how. However, I do want to share the ones that we have done…
I found this awesome idea on Pinterest but there was only a photo. With no instructions, I had to wing it. I also thought that maybe other people would like to make one too, so I have written out how I did it. There quite possibly is an easier and better way but this is how I did it.
Here is the original photo from Pinterest:
What you will need to do this project:
Wood (I used 1×6’s)
Old filing cabinet
Nuts and bolts to attached the wood
Rustoleum spray paint
Saw to cut the wood
Socket to attach the nuts and bolts
Legs for the bottom (optional)
I had an old filing cabinet that was beginning to rust in this humid, Caribbean climate. I went to the hardware store and got some Rustoleum spray paint. Unfortunately, the color selection here is not as varying as in the states. I did find a lime green color that worked fine. I began by sanding down the cabinet to help get rid of some of the rusty spots. I forgot to take a “before” picture prior to beginning my painting. After painting the top, I remembered so I put the drawers back in it and took this “semi-before” picture:
Spray paint the entire thing. Don’t forget to remove the drawers and paint them separately.
I happened to have some wood lying around that I am planning to use to make an office desk (but haven’t started yet…). While I was at the hardware store, I picked up some clear varnish. The wood really didn’t look like anything special. Once I put on varnish, it turned out gorgeously. I want to now make all things with this wood!
Once it dried, I attached the wood to the top and bottom of the filing cabinet. When I began to attach to wood to the top, I noticed that the bolts stuck up, and I didn’t like that. We set our printer on it so I knew that the bolts would get in the way. I used a 1/2″ spade drill bit to create a “hole” for the top of the bolt to sit in and create a flush top. I didn’t drill all the way through the wood. (I know those are a bunch of made-up technical terms but I don’t know the real ones. I seriously had to google the name of the drill bit that I used. You will also need a masonry bit to drill through the metal). I found this picture on the Internet to show what I am talking about:
Our floors are concrete and tend to “sweat” which causes metal to rust. I wanted to create a base that would lift it off the floor. After I finished it, I realized that the “sweat” would affect the wood as well. I went to IKEA and found some bookcase legs that worked perfectly. Problem solved! I am really pleased with the way that it turned out!
I really started thinking of how any of this related to God or mission work. Then I laughed because that old filing cabinet reminded me of myself before God shined me up. Remember…
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
I am so thankful that I didn’t just discard this old beaten up thing…
…and I am even more thankful that God didn’t do that to me!